Leo Jiranek Vintage Heywood Wakefield Vanity ( abh65 )
Heywood Brothers was established in 1826, Wakefield Company in 1855. Both firms produced wicker and rattan furniture, and as these products became increasing popular towards the end of the century, they became serious rivals. In 1897 the companies merged as Heywood Brothers & Wakefield Company (this name was changed to Heywood-Wakefield Company in 1921), purchasing Washburn-Heywood Chair Company in 1916, Oregon Chair Company in 1920, and Lloyd Manufacturing Company in 1921.
While its wooden furniture plant in Gardner, Massachusetts closed in 1979, a branch in Menominee, Michigan continued to manufacture metal outdoor seats, auditorium seats, and school furniture. The Heywood-Wakefield Company Complex in Gardner was added to the National Historic Register in 1983. The South Beach Furniture Company acquired the rights to the name in 1994 and reproduces its wooden furniture
This US industrial designer was born in Grand Rapids, MI and known as Jerry. After preparing for college at Western Military Academy, he spent two years at Norwich University, then transferred to Princeton University in 1920, where he graduated as an engineer in 1922. After graduation, he went to work for Turner Construction Company. In 1924, his father died, and Jerry took over his father’s furniture design business.
Considered by many to be the “Dean of Furniture Designers,” one of the industry’s first freelancers, he contributed to more furniture companies than any other designer, including Magnavox, Thomasville, Ethan Allen, Kroehler, Haywood Wakefield, The Lane Co., Bassett, Broyhill and Garrison.